Top 10 Best Victorian Buildings – Puerto Plata Dominican Republic –
So First of all, On today’s blog I would like to invite you to go around our town. That way you can certainly see for yourself some of the most beautiful Victorian buildings that gives Puerto Plata its enchanting ambiance.
The Victorian architectural design that is used in Puerto Plata started at the end of the XIX century -by 1857- with a big European migration movement we received at our ship port.
So, rumor has it, that one of the ships coming from Europe brought a lot of Victorian design home brochures, and people started to implement those brochure styles in the new developments of those years. Likewise, the appearance of every victorian buiding has some similarity. As a result, here we have several victorian buildings that are likely to interest you.
Victorian Buildings – Club De Comercio
The Victorian style used in Puerto Plata has these major common features:
Dormers, wide wrap-around porches, decorative railings, and turned posts. Ornate trim work around the porches included ginger bread cutouts and spindle work. The use of zinc panels for the roof on the outside and of tongue and groove wood soffit ceiling in the interior (the combination of this method and high ceilings results in lower interior temperatures to alleviate the heat of the Antillean climate) Gables at the end of the roofs, lintels and exterior window ledges (edges that protrude below the windows).
In 1970 a new law was proclaimed to preserve all historical buildings in Puerto Plata. This law promotes that all historical buildings should be maintained and renewed on their original facade.
In the last 10 years, a group of private companies and renowned families, started to renovate them (a work still in process). The goal is to have them all renewed as an alternative historical touristic offer for the city.
I strolled around town, to my taste, these are the 10 most beautifully renewed ones. I invite you to go around and discover them all.
Victorian Buildings – Casa Gregorio Luperon, C. 12 de Julio #54
Similarly to the previous one, this house was built at approximately 1875. It was the home of Gregorio Luperón, who was the head officer of the Revolution movement and was intern president of the Dominican Republic from 1879 -1880. Nowadays, operates as a Dominican history home museum. Stay tuned, because we will show other Victorian buildings that are also incredible.
Victorian Buildings – Casita Azul, C. Beller #40
Another great victorian building, Casita Azul. This house was built at approx. 1885, belonged to The Pimentel family. Today, it is a really good Dominican –Caribbean cuisine Restaurant.
Victorian Buildings – Iglesia Del Carmen, C. 16 de Agosto esq. Carmen
Also, Iglesia del Carmen. This church was built approx. in 1927. For me, it is the most beautiful church in Puerto Plata. You can attend a Catholic mass every Sunday. This type of architecture brings me back to the Victorian era buildings.
Quinta Ricardo Limardo, Ave. Virginia Ortega esq. Isabel de Torres
Similarly to the previous one (Iglesia Del Carmen). This home construction lasted approx. 25 years, and was finished in 1930. Nowadays, it is used as a private events rental place.
Victorian Buildings – Casa Olivares, C. Beller #59
This house is even more interesting, it was built in 1916. Nowadays, it is a commercial area with offices and mini markets.
Victorian Buildings – Casita Blanca, Calle Juan Bosch #49
This is another awesome building. This house was built in approx. 1900. In contrast to the previous ones, Casita Blanca was renewed this year, it is still being used as a home.
Casa 40, Calle Duarte #40
Another incredible structure. Casa 40 was built approx. in 1900. Above all, it renewed in 2018 and today operates as a great ambiance bar-restaurant, with constant artistic shows and events. In contrast with the other, this is the one of the most noteworthy Victorian buildings.
Bistro, Calle Jose del Carmen Ariza #26
Bistro is another interesting structure. This house was built in 1923. Furthermore, today, it is used as a Bistro Restaurant.
“Botica San Jose”, C. Jose del Carmen Ariza Esq. Belle
Similarly to the others, it’s kind of old. Botica San Jose Was built in 1876, as the first Commercial Club prior to 1897 (when the other commercial club was built just in front). Today, it is an art and gift shop market.
“Fe En El Porvenir”, Calle Separación #20
Also a great building. Was built in 1908 and used as a recreation events building of that time. However, it is used as an Art Gallery. What do you think? Don’t you find them beautiful? Which one did you like the most? – also, you can leave your comment at the end of the blog.
Things To Do In Puerto Plata – May 2019
May started with two major events: we are celebrating our fiestas patronales (Saint Phillip of Puerto Plata celebration, San Felipe de Puerto Plata). Also, the Puerto Plata Open (PGA Latin American tour), that along with the rest of regular day to day events, provide the town with many cultural and social gatherings.
Hope you can enjoy most of them!
MAY 2ND, 2019:
- 7 AM – Starting day of PGA Latin America tour tournament. – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, 4 PM – Food truck Fest at Hole 18th – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 5:30 PM – Ministerio Kaivos Live music at Parque Central.
- Another that is really interesting, 6 PM – DJ Alex, and Cruz Monty live music at Playa Dorada Golf Course. 8:PM – Ambiorix Padilla live Music at Parque Central.
MAY 3rd – MAY 5th, 2019 – Lust After Work – 5 de Mayo celebration, Nachos, Corona and Tequila Specials.
MAY 3rd, 2019:
- Firstly, 7 AM – PGA Latin America tour tournament. – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, 9 AM – Video Games for kids at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 4PM – Food truck Fest at Hole 18th – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 6 PM – DJ Nelson Viñas, and Pamel Acustic live music at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 8 PM – KlaudioViel Live Music at Parque Central.
- 9 PM – Fernando Villalona Live Music at Parque Central.
- 10:30 PM – Tropical Party and Fireworks at Parque Central.
MAY 4TH, 2019
- Firstly, 9 AM –PGA Latin America tour tournament. – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 9 AM – VIDEO GAMES for kids at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 4 PM – Kids activities – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 4 PM – Food truck Fest at Hole 18th – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, 4 – 9 PM – Taller intensivo de Mimo Corporal Dramatico – Teatro IvanGarcia.
- 8 PM – PLASTIZIDA – Theatrical show at Teatro Ivan Garcia.
- 6 PM – DJ Alex, and Los Blanquitos live music at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
MAY 5TH, 2019
- 8:30 AM – PGA Latin America tour tournament. – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, 10 AM – Video Games for kids at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 1 PM – Food truck Fest at Hole 18th – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, 2 PM – Kids manual activities – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- 3 PM – Kids activities – Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Furthermore, 5 PM – may 5th Celebration at CHARROS Restaurant in Cofresi.
- 5 PM – DJ Camilo, and Frankos Group live music at Playa Dorada Golf Course.
- Also, every Day – Pop Cinemas at Playa Dorada Plaza – Movies.
- Finally, every Saturday: Sosua Artisan Market at Park las Flores, Sosua. From 4-10 PM.
I will be doing even more updates to this blog whenever I receive more events. Seems like you can’t miss any of our updates, So keep coming here for an updated Agenda!!
Mega Adventures allows you to enjoy the best excursions in Puerto Plata. If you like adventures, you can’t miss the opportunity!
Finally and above all, thank you so much for following our blog! consequently, if you enjoyed it, please like, share and comment it. Until the next one!!
Related Links and thanks to:
*CLICK BELOW TO VIEW OUR TOURS
*CLICK BELOW TO SEE OUR PACKAGES AND MAKE RESERVATIONS